Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Seeking input

Now that IVF#2 is officially over (negative beta today), it's time to start thinking about what to do going forward.  We do have approval for another cycle from our insurance so I don't feel like I can quit. Coverage is such a blessing, I don't want to waste it.  I also was awake at 3am the other night, and started looking at adoption websites. Since I practically had a panic attack just from reading about the process, I don't think I'm there yet.  
The trick will be timing  - technically the approval runs out in mid-December, which means no break.  They can try to ask for an extension, but I have a bad feeling about trying to schedule something like this in two benefit years.   The other trick is relying on my natural cycle, there really is no telling on when CD1 would be.  So, I think I'm going to go right onto BCP so we can control when to start again, and meet with the doctor to see what he recommends.  At the very least, I want to add acupuncture to my plan.  For those of you who have done it, do you think it helps? How often to do you go?  How did you go about finding a provider? I live in a metropolitan area, so there is a lot of choice.  But I have no idea how to find someone who is "good"....  I'm trying not to think about how I'm going to schedule another appointment into my already crazy schedule.  One step at a time.....

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry :(

    I've been doing it for about 2 years now, and although I'm not pregnant yet I really do find it helps, if not just to calm me down and feel better about the whole process.

    It's important to find one that specilizes in fertility. Maybe ask your clinic if they can recommend anyone? I went to two different acupuncturists before I found the one that I clicked with.

    There are several studies out there supporting acupuncture along with IVF. At my clinic, they even offer it after the transfer, before you move off the bed! (for a fee of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went for awhile and it seemed to help with stress levels but didn't help me to get pregnant. I'd agree with Amanda---look for someone who knows how to treat fertility issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Panic attack over initial browsing of adoption websites? Yup. Been. There. I'm hoping the more I force myself to look into it, the less daunting it will seem.

    As for acupuncture, I've been going for a year (with weekly appointments, though a bit more spotty lately), and I do really like it. I go at a holistic fertility center, so I've got the fertility angle covered, and they really are super attentive and specific in their treatments depending on where I am in my cycle, if I might be pregnant, etc. They also offer special treatments around IUIs, IVF, etc. - for example, is supposed to help calm contractions in the uterus if you go right before and after a transfer.

    Really, I don't know that it's changed me physically. (No baby yet anyway.) But it definitely makes me feel better and helps with anxiety. I have been there on my low of low days, near hysterical, and felt calm 30 minutes later. And there have been crazy times like I hurt my wrist so she added a couple of needles, and it was seriously cured by the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your failed IVF. That is so disappointing. My hugs go out to you.

    For acupuncture I have only heard great things. I've gone myself and I definitely felt a difference in my level of calmness. On super stressed days I really craved it. In addition it offers the mental benefit of knowing you are doing one more thing that is good for you and may help you on your path. The one I go to specializes in fertility and IVF so I feel like it is directly connected. I found them as a referral. To get started finding one I would actually just try searching on Yelp for acupuncturists in your area and see the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm just getting caught up on your blog. So sorry your cycle didn't work. I am right there with you. We want to get a second opinion before we move forward, but at the same time, I am so eager toet in another cycle this year.

    I did acupuncture weekly with both of my cycles. I noticed almost an immediate difference in the color and consistency of my flow. It also kept me really calm, and for the part, I sleep a lot better. For me, I think it was worth just for the stress management part.

    ReplyDelete