Thursday, May 19, 2011

*tap..tap* Is this thing on?

I can't believe it's been three weeks since my last post.  Work has really been kicking my ass...in a way, it's good because this cycle has been flying by - but still...work has really been kicking my ass.  We're still on track as far as IVF#1 goes.  I'm on Day 8 of stims (Gonal-F) and still taking Lupron every morning.  I go in tomorrow for another u/s and bloodwork.  Yesterday, my nurse thought we'd be doing retrieval on Monday or Tuesday, but of course she couldn't say for sure.  I seem to have a decent number of follicles, but to me they still seem on the small side.  We shall see... I've been feeling ok.  The most unusual thing for me has been the daily headaches.  Shots have been non-events - I remember the anxiety I had before my first shot during our first injectible cycle and I can't help but laugh.  Last night I had a work event and did my shot in a restaurant bathroom without a second thought.  The only thing I was worried about was the HCG shot. They gave me Novarel instead of Ovidrel this time, and I was assuming it was an IM shot, but now that I'm doing some reading it sounds like it can be subcutaneous. Sweet! Anyone else have the same experience?  That would explain why the nurse must have thought I was crazy for asking why I wasn't using Ovidrel this time - there doesn't really seem to be a difference.  Ah well - I'll worry about it when the time comes and get clear instructions then.   You all probably think I'm crazy for not having all of the details nailed down way in advance, but I think this may be the way I'm mentally coping.   Deep down I feel like this isn't really going to work anyway.  I guess we'll know one way or the other by the first week in June.  I know that lots of people have success, but it seems like there are SO many obstacles to get through.  will the eggs develop, will they get enough that are mature, will they fertilize, will they last to transfer, will they implant and make it to beta, will the betas double correctly, will I make it to the first u/s, will i make it to a second u/s....and don't even get me started on a completing a first trimester.   
On a lighter note, does anyone else use their IVF experience for some gentle emotional blackmail?  "Dear, I'm on my way to give myself my second shot of the day and my day started with an ultrasound probe in a delicate place while two med students looked on  - would you change the kitty litter?"   Good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. LOL, that last line just killed me. Great idea!!

    I've never done IVF, but I can understand how overwhelming it can be. Just try to focus on one day at a time, and don't get too ahead of yourself. And stay positive!

    Good to hear from you xo

    ReplyDelete