Thursday, March 17, 2011

Next stop: IVF

My appointment yesterday was a bit of a whirlwind, which is usually the case.  I envy you ladies who always remember your questions and know all the details - because my mind goes blank when I'm talking to the doctor and I just agree with everything he says.  As suspected, he's recommending IVF and it could start this cycle!  I'm at day 10 now, and had most of the blood work done last week when I went in for my mandatory beta.  Permissions have all been signed.  Husband has to do another SA today and I ended up with an unexpected sonohysterogram at the end of my appointment.  (My first one - not fun, but one million times better than my HSG.) All for insurance requirements, and I was there already so they fit me in.  I suppose being a regular at the clinic and knowing the nurses and ultrasound tech well does have some benefits.  The missing piece will be the insurance authorization.  If that comes in quickly, I could start the Lupron in less than two weeks. Then Gonal-F again.   I forgot to ask about the scary PIO shots that I've heard so much about.  I haven't had to take progesterone in any of my other cycles -- is that standard in IVF?  A sane person would have remembered to ask the doctor. 
If the insurance doesn't come through right away, we'll wait to the next cycle.  While part of me wants to wait and continue with this break, the other part of me realizes that I'm in an unmedicated cycle right now, and that could end up being close to two months.  It seems like a waste and I'm not getting any younger, right? 
In other news, I had a blood draw this morning for one final test.  The tech actually gave me the it-will-happen-when-you-relax speech.  Really?  Thanks, lady.  I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because I think they pulled her in from another lab and she normally doesn't handle the IVF patients, but c'mon.

2 comments:

  1. Did she really? I would have thought tech's would be more sensitive to that stuff, since they see if every day. So frustrating...

    I hope all the paperwork comes together and you're able to get going. I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to do PIO shots, you can do suppositories. I'm not sure what your RE's preference is, but it's worth asking if you are nervous about PIO shots. The needle is quite large but some people don't seem to mind it much.

    ReplyDelete